Resources for Student Success




9th Grade Campus

Cassandra Benner

Mississippi State University ~ B.S.
Delta State University ~ MA - Counselor Education
Delta State University ~ Education Specialist In Counseling Education

Guidance Services


Main Campus

Last names A-C

Ashkia Phillips
Bethune-Cookman University, BS- Psychology
Webster University, MA- Guidance and School Counseling

Last names D-H

Steve Haun
Southeastern College, BS~ Business
Liberty University, M.Ed.~ School Counseling

Last names I-M

Tonya Alexander

BA- University of Central Florida
MS-Troy University, Counseling and Psychology

Last names Se-Z

Marcus Franklin (Director of Guidance)

Last names N-Sc

Laquita Johnson-Looney
University of South Florida ~ B.A.
Webster University ~ MA


Ms. Elizabeth Costa, Records
Ms. Josephine Bragg, 9th Grade Campus
Mrs. Martha Evans
Mrs. Dorothy Fason

Graduation Requirements

Hours of Operation

The Guidance Office is open on Monday through Friday from 6:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. Counselors are available from 6:45 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. Although walk-ins are welcome, however due to availability, you are highly encouraged to make an appointment.

Enrollment Procedures

If enrolling for the first time in Polk County Public schools, you will need:

  1. Birth certificate
  2. School physical (less than 1 year old unless coming from another Florida school in which a previous one will suffice)
  3. Current shot records on the Florida Certificate of Immunization "Blue Card"
  4. Two current proofs of residence in the enrolling parent or legal guardian’s name. You must present two different categories out of the following:
  5. Voters ID
  6. A current utility bill (cable, electric, phone, gas - for home use)
  7. Lease agreement, rent receipt (with name, address, date, and signature on it), mortgage, deed, closing paperwork, FEMA, housing authority, or Joe Tedder, Tax Collector
  8. Proof of government benefits such as social security, disability, children and family services, child support letter

If returning to Polk County Public Schools, you will need:

  1. Current shot records on the Florida "blue card"
  2. Two current proofs of residence in the enrolling parent's or legal guardian’s names. If you cannot provide the two proofs of residence in the parents name because the parent is residing with a relative or friend the following must be done each year:
  3. An affidavit must be picked up at any school and notarized, which states that you are living in the same household but the relative/friend must now prove that they live in our zone and you are a guest.
  4. The relative/friend supplies the two proofs of residence.

If your student is “zoned” for RCHS then we will be able to enroll them when the following documentation has been provided. Different situations require different information, so please read each category to determine which is appropriate. After the student is enrolled and activated, an appointment may be scheduled with the appropriate counselor to complete the registration process and answer questions you may have regarding attending school.

Late Night Wednesdays

On Wednesday evenings, the College and Career Room is open until 5:00 p.m. This gives both parents and students an opportunity to utilize the many resources available to them beyond the school day. No appointment is needed.


Tutoring has not yet begun for the 2014-2015 school year.
School-wide tutoring is available in the Media Center on Wednesdays from 2:05 p.m. until 4 p.m. Students are welcome to come get help for any subject, including FCAT, SAT, and ACT testing. Teachers and students from various subject areas are available to assist students in the specific academic area needed. No appointment or registration needed.
Tutoring is also available for Advanced Placement classes on Thursdays from 2:05 p.m. until 4 p.m.

Contacting Staff/Requesting an Appointment

You are welcome to contact any staff member by calling the Main Office at 419-3315 or you may email them by going to the Staff link of the RCHS homepage and clicking on their name.

If a student needs to see their counselor, they will need to sign the appropriate counselor’s clipboard with their name, the date, and the time they sign in. The clipboards are located in the Guidance Office at the back counter. Students may also ask their teacher to send the counselor an email requesting an appointment. We do our best to call down students as soon as possible and will get back with the students within a 24 hour period.

Parents and legal guardians may schedule conferences with their student's counselor by calling the office. Parents/guardians may also request to meet with their student’s teachers by contacting the school counselor. Due to teaching schedules, Parent/Teacher conferences are usually scheduled at the end of the school day.

Parent Portal

To view your student's attendance, grades, and other account information, you will first need to complete the application for the Parent Portal. You may do so in the Guidance Office. See Mrs. Murdock.
Our Guidance Department makes every effort to track our students’ academic progress for graduation and monitor that they are attending school regularly, however it is imperative that our parents and students take responsibility also by making it a part of their routine to check attendance and academic progress regularly.

Transcripts / Recommendation Letter Request

In order to request that official records be sent to a college or university, students need to see Mr. Haun. Please request transcripts at least one week prior to deadline.
If you need a counselor to write a recommendation letter for a college or scholarship, please notify the counselor at least one week prior to deadline. Also, please give your counselor a copy of your resume including your extra curricular activities.

Dual Enrollment

Dual enrollment allows eligible high school students to enroll in postsecondary courses. They earn credit toward high school graduation and at the same time earn credit toward a college degree. Our students participate in dual enrollment through Polk Community College. Students are permitted to take dual enrollment courses on a part-time basis during school hours, after school, or during the summer term. Dual-enrollment students do not have to pay registration, matriculation, or laboratory fees. Various evening courses are offered on the campus of Ridge Community High School to best accommodate the needs of our students, as well as others in our community. Please see your counselor for more information on the requirements to participate in this program.

Schedule Changes

Over the summer and during the first week of school, we allow to students to request a schedule change. We will review and consider each request, although this does not guarantee a change.
Once the school year is up and running, we no longer make changes to schedules unless there are extenuating circumstances, such as:

  1. missing a class period in their schedule
  2. scheduled for a class that they have already taken
  3. a specific class is needed to meet specific requirements
  4. balancing class sizes by administration

Promotion Requirements

Based on Polk County School Board Policy

  • 9th to 10th Grade ........................................................................... 4 Credits and 1 year
  • 10th to 11th Grade .......................................................................10 Credits and 2 years
  • 11th to 12th Grade .......................................................................17 Credits and 3 years

*A cumulative grade point average of 2.0 is required for graduation, as well as participation in extracurricular activities.

Grade Reporting to Parents

Grading System

  • A 90 - 100
  • B 80 - 89
  • C 70 - 79
  • D 60 - 69
  • F 0 - 59

Interim Reports are sent at ever 4 ½ weeks and Report Cards are sent at every 9 weeks. Grades are posted to the student’s academic history as follows:
Semester Courses (18-week courses) will receive a final course grade at the end of the 18-week period based on an average of the two, 9-week quarter grades.

Term Courses (36-week courses) will receive a ½ credit final course grade at the end of the first semester and a ½ credit final course grade at the end of the second semester.